Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 13 October 2022

Woodland wander

We're having rather mixed weather now, with some heavy rain (much needed to replenish our rivers and reservoirs) and some really glorious sunny days. I had a walk round the 'river circuit' from the Cavendish Pavilion at Bolton Abbey up to the aqueduct bridge and back. Sometimes I do it clockwise and sometimes anti-clockwise. Either way, it's a great walk with some lovely views - and always good coffee before or after (or both!) at the Pavilion café. The Bolton Abbey estate is such a popular spot that I often bump into people I know, which makes it all the lovelier. Had a good chat on the way round! 

Autumn colour is slowly appearing; it's so lovely to see, with a blue sky and the sun picking out the gold leaves. 

I nearly sat on this vicious looking caterpillar that was crawling over a seat! I think I've ID'd it as a Pale Tussock Moth caterpillar

It is, of course, the time for fungi in the woods too.  I came across a few - like these clustered, button ones which I think are Sulphur Tufts. 

The one below is more of a puzzle. From its spongy underside, it looks to be a type of boletus - maybe a Penny Bun Cep, as it looks a bit like a bread bun. These are supposed to be edible but I'd never trust my ID skills enough to touch one, much less eat it! Besides, it was really rather slimy. Urgh.


I'm not sure but this one below might be honey fungus (armillaria), deadly to trees and shrubs. ('The single most deadly plant disease in the UK' according to the RHS.)  In this case it was growing all over a dead tree stump. The fruiting body is only the tip of the iceberg as the fungus spreads underground via bootlace strings called rhizomorphs, which can travel three feet in a year. It thrives in hot, dry summers such as we've just had. If it appears in your garden, it's really hard to get rid of. 

7 comments:

  1. That caterpillar shot is the winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beauty comes in all forms, but I'll vote for a stream flowing along a forest any day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that 3rd shot. And the weird-looking creature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That third shot particularly appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the peek through the trees in the second photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The autumn scenes are spectacularly beautiful with the second and third shots being my favorites in this post. Lucky for the caterpillar that you didn’t sit on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely walks you have. I am envious. I am worried about By Stargoose and Hanglands as it's been so long since he posted. Such lovely walks and photos, nothing since the end of July. Stay well yourself...

    ReplyDelete