Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 10 October 2022

Shapes in the garden

It both awes and amazes me when I consider the huge variety of shapes and structures in nature. My friend, who was a civil engineer, tells me that plants are studied by architects and engineers to inform their practice and understand how strength and structure are built into them. As well as the huge range of colours, I like the variety and sense of movement, especially in mixed planting like the coneflowers and soft grasses in the border above. 

These are two very bold plants that caught my eye: the silver, veined leaves above are (I think) a type of Brunnera. Loved the way the leaves fold round each other - and that little yellow leaf from a different plant that has sneaked its way in. I'm not sure what the red leaf is, possible some kind of banana plant? 


I'm on firmer ground with these two - both types of Hydrangea. I loved the rich colour of the one above with its almost waxy petals. The blue one was altogether more delicate. 

5 comments: