Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 18 October 2022

Following the old paths

Around here there are numerous old pathways and tracks, ancient rights of way connecting the various hamlets, farms and villages. Many of them are paved with stone sets or slabs, like the one below that connects Gilstead and Eldwick with Saltaire and Baildon via Sheriff Lane and the Higher Coach Road. 

I followed the track down to Crag Hebble Dam, the little mill pond built in 1911 over Lodepit Beck, to supply water for the dyeworks at Salts Mill. There are remnants of sluices and gates. I spotted a ladybird enjoying the warmth of the sun. 

I also noticed a Little Egret wading in the mill pond, though as soon as it saw me it flew up into the trees and proceeded to groom its feathers. This was the only photo I managed to get - not very clear! 

6 comments:

  1. More wonderful autumn photos. The ladybug stands out from the rest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching sunlight through trees is often difficult...but here from the side across the path, it adds the sculpting of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That second picture tugs at my heart. I imagine the countless folk that have travelled that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing more enjoyable then a walk along an old path, especially one as colorful as the one you walked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful old pathway. Egrets always remind me of Florida since that is the only place I have ever seen them.

    ReplyDelete