Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 9 October 2022

Harlow Carr again

It's quite a while since I visited RHS Harlow Carr Gardens in Harrogate. I like to go every couple of months as there is usually something new to see but we've had such a dry summer that, quite frankly, our gardens - even one as well tended as Harlow Carr - have been rather stressed and sad-looking. They have been doing an awful lot of redevelopment and replanting there too, so some areas look a bit sparse. It is just the turn of the seasons now, some autumn colour creeping in in patches, like the colourful acer above, though most of our trees are only just beginning to turn. Autumn is the time for coneflowers like the yellow rudbekia below. 


It was cold in the shade, warm in the sunshine. This Red Admiral butterfly was resting his battered wings in the sunshine on a Michaelmas daisy, a flower that always reminds me of my grandma's garden. 



Even the lily pads in the pond were beginning to turn yellow and a nice shade of purple-red, and I quite liked that look. 


5 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful garden with a variety of flowers. The lily pond does it for me the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great series of autumn as it arrives. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful. I have only visited Harlow Carr once, and it was lovely, but of course gardens need to be visited often, and at different times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely series. It's funny how certain flowers can remind us of people. Bleeding hearts always remind me of my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete