Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 11 October 2022

Around Malham

I arranged to meet up with a good friend of long-standing in Malham recently. He's Dutch and was over here on a cycling trip through the Yorkshire Dales. We couldn't work out how long it is since we last saw each other but it must be at least ten years. As with most of those precious old friendships, we managed quite quickly to slot back in to an easy chat about this and that. Thankfully his command of English is (has always been) superb - since my command of Dutch is non-existent! 

Our drought is over... We decided to walk along the river to Janet's Foss. We started in glorious sunshine and then, when we arrived at the falls, it decided to chuck it down, torrential rain! So it was two very wet people who eventually made it back to the pub for a late lunch. (Note to self: my walking shoes are NOT waterproof, neither are my thicker walking trousers. I need to invest in some new waterproof trousers.)


I didn't take my camera, as I knew I'd be too busy chatting to stop for many photos, but the light was lovely and I did manage a few phone snaps before and after the rain. 

Janet's Foss has, no doubt, been a mere trickle all summer but a few days of heavy rain soon replenishes our upland streams and the falls were a roaring cascade.  

The first photo, at the top, is Malham Cove itself, from beside the road at the top of the village. We didn't walk all the way over to the Cove but occasionally a bit of light picked out the huge, curving rock face quite dramatically. 

3 comments: