Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 31 July 2021

Yorkshire pretty

Yorkshire holiday 1

Hooray, I've been on holiday! Only a short break and not all that far away, but a holiday nevertheless - somewhere different! My ultimate destination was the coastal area around Whitby, North Yorkshire. En route, I stopped for a couple of hours in the village of Thornton Le Dale. Nestled on the edge of the North York Moors National Park, it must be one of the prettiest villages in Yorkshire, centred around a village green and with little streams running alongside the houses. I don't think I've ever been before. The main road to the coast bypasses it but it was a detour worth making. 

It reminded me a little of Bourton on the Water in the Cotswolds, where I visited a couple of years ago (see HERE). That too has a shallow stream running through it. Perhaps the memory was triggered more by the weather, as (just as it was when I was in Bourton on the Water) it was a scorching hot day. There were plenty of people enjoying the sunshine and cooling off in the stream, though nothing like the crowds in the Costwolds. 


The first photo shows Beck Isle, the most famous (and most photographed) cottage in the village, a picturesque thatched cottage, immaculately kept and with a colourful garden. Built in the 17th century and extended in the 20th, it has featured on innumerable chocolate boxes and jigsaw puzzles.  There are, however, many other attractive properties, some of them dating back to the 1600s. 




It is a delightful place, especially on a sunny summer's day. 

 

7 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how many unexplored places lie just a few miles away from home? I see the resemblance to Bourton - a place I know well having got thoroughly lost there on one of my walks (this was particularly memorable as I had twenty people following me!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woe! What a beautiful village! I can only imagine the cost of the properties there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely homes in a beautiful setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely little village! And so close to home really.
    I am not sure why but my blog is showing up on reading lists as weird code. I am still around though.
    http://occasionaltoronto.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Red Pat, my Grandma was born in Toronto way back in 1890. Canadian women are seemingly built to last. She died in Menston, Yorkshire aged 105 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful village.The chocolate box house is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete