Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 18 July 2021

Cooking up images

I've joined a small group of photographers who are seeking to explore some more creative work than just 'straight' photos. I've long enjoyed 'just playing', though I find it is very hard to be objective about the value of my own work, especially when I've spent a while creating it. Many times I've really liked something I've done at first and then a few days or weeks later, have concluded that it isn't that good. So it will be useful to have some input from other people who don't have the emotional attachment. 

Our camera club rules preclude using textures or images that are not our own, so - in case I eventually want to enter any images into competitions - I'm engaged on a quest to build a good portfolio of my own backgrounds and textures. With that in mind, I unearthed an old scratched baking tray.  

It proved quite a good texture to use. Here are two images that I made using the tray as a layer.



 

5 comments:

  1. That all sounds very interesting. My camera club has not been very stimulating lately. But I follow another one on line and its got some good ideas. What you are doing is new to me. I like your second image best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the second image. I think it's because, despite the surreal look, it still conforms to the requirements of a traditional photo; the eye is drawn by the reds and oranges which are in the classic just-off-centre position within the frame, this is further enhanced by the vignetting, which looks natural rather than an ellipse added later. I'm also heartened to see that someone else makes just as much of a mess of their baking trays as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also vote for the second one. The first seems to combine two rather general looks...without anything that is the locus of the image. The second has a bit more to see that is not just design, but has variety as well as wonderful texture. Keep experimenting, and I'd love to give my humble opinion as a completely amateur photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a clue about the process, but I do like the results!!

    ReplyDelete