Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 11 July 2021

Joy to the world

Since the pandemic began, I have hardly set foot inside my church (St Peter's, Shipley). Initially all our services moved online and I was able to follow them from home. This still continues, even though limited numbers can now gather in church as well. With my deafness and the need to wear masks (preventing me from lip reading), no singing and so on, I feel it a bit pointless for me to attend and take a place from someone else, when I can't really participate as I'd like to. I'm happy enough with my own quiet times, online services and sometimes even Zooming in to other churches and cathedrals far and wide, as many are currently live-streaming worship. 

I happened to be walking past the church the other day and noticed that one of our congregation has painted a very vibrant - almost Hockneyesque - view of the local area to brighten up one of the noticeboards. Close inspection reveals several local landmarks as well as our church tower: the old tramsheds, the tower of Saltaire's United Reformed Church, Salts Mill, the Catholic church and our sister church of St Paul's in Shipley, all against the backdrop of the aptly named Hope Hill, across the valley.

I think it's wonderful and it certainly does bring some joy and brightness to this little corner of Nab Wood. 

(Hoping the England football team will do the same tonight!)


1 comment: