Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 8 July 2021

Flowers I've met recently


I've never been much good at identifying wild flowers, beyond the most obvious. I've got quite a good field guide but I haven't been able to trace the pretty yellow one above. I'm sure it's quite common. There were lots in the woods in Calderdale.  It's one of those modest plants that rewards a closer study. See how neat it is in the shapes of its petals and leaves? They're like little yellow stars, brightening the woodland floor. (Oh, a friend has just told me it’s a yellow pimpernel. Thank you!) 

Those below are ox-eye daisies, flowering prolifically in the new nature reserve along the river bank, beyond Roberts Park.


The foxglove below needs no introduction, being ubiquitous in our landscapes and gardens too. Indeed this one may be a garden escape, as it is rather paler than the usual wild varieties and was growing in a snicket behind some houses. I liked the contrast between the rough wall and the plant. The humble pink flowered plant next to it is, I think, herb robert. 


And this one? Very common in our hedgerows but, again, easy to skim over without a proper study of those delicate white flowers. It's stitchwort. 

5 comments:

  1. Foxgloves have always appealed to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look a bit similar to ones I was looking at yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that last pic, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That foxglove/stone wall photo is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah. Ox-eyes will grow even here in Texas, but alas, only wit supplemental watering, so that they are confined to tended gardens. But there, there do very well indeed.
    Nice to see them at liberty.

    ReplyDelete