Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 18 January 2023

Memorial


I can't recall whether I have ever shown this memorial cross on my blog before. I rarely pass it and it's not especially noticeable. It stands on the river bank near the Salts Sports Club fields. There is no inscription that I could see, and it appears to be a while since anyone tended to the jumble of offerings at the foot of the cross. I have done a Google search for any information about it. The only thing I can find that may be relevant is a newspaper account (HERE) about a man who sadly drowned in the River Aire in 2017, near this spot. He was a Polish national, Piotr Robert Zych, who had gone fishing with a couple of friends. They were drinking and for some reason the man decided to go for a swim, got into difficulty and his friends were unable to save him. How very sad. Given that the cross is rather more elaborate than our plain Protestant crosses tend to be, it is possible it is a memorial to this Polish man, though I can't be sure. Someone obviously cares - or did care - enough to commission the cross and plant snowdrops around it. 

3 comments: