Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 12 January 2023

Cultures


The latest addition to Saltaire's drinking scene is Cultures Deli and Drafthouse (draughthouse?) which has taken over the premises formerly occupied by Nordish, on the corner of Victoria Road and Caroline Street. They serve beer and wine to drink in or apparently to take out, with a facility to take along your own bottles and have them filled. They also serve cheese and pickle platters, bread and other fermented foods. It seems it's not a shop, it's not a pub, it's not a restaurant but 'a community hub'. (They say they want to be 'like a corner shop', which I guess means having the same local folks coming back time and again - and perhaps being a centre for village gossip?) It seems to be quite busy whenever I've walked past.

It looks like another foggy day from my photo above but it wasn't! The shop clearly has a ventilation problem, as every different business located here over the years seems to have suffered with condensation on the windows. It adds a bit of atmosphere to the photo, I guess. The one below was taken late afternoon on a different day so I don't think they'd built up a fug at that stage!  


All I know is places like this make me feel really out of touch!  There's so much these days that I don't seem to need and can't even keep up with... 'not a shop, not a pub, not a restaurant'...? And don't mention car park meter apps or electronic receipts or self-scan checkouts. I seem often to be asking myself 'what is this?' or 'how do you do this?' I'm sure I'm not the only confused one. 

7 comments:

  1. I was just beginning to think I'd got life figured out - then they started changing everything. It's not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decide what you are, and be that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same feeling of being out of the loop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not much of a shopper...just groceries I guess. So payment methods always seem to be changing when I go to a new place...and yes, parking meters require an app now! Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Jenny--I am so with you on all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post on an interesting subject.
    Good to know the out of the loopers have good company!
    Self check outs are now in some convenience stores here in Vermont!
    At a favorite stop, my first use, I had a cheeseburger showing a cost over $70.00 dollars!
    The scan area in the machine catches any bar code near it. My burger was too close resting on the counter, kept scanning. until I picked it up.
    I suggested they tape off the scan area. Funny now. Clerk was so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, yes, My little town has recently added an "axe throwing" establishment. Apparently that is a thing, but I sure wouldn't want to pay the liability insurance bill to open one. People are putting in new things to keep the downtown alive...and it's more alive than it used to be. So.....

    ReplyDelete