Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 14 January 2023

In Real Life


The current exhibition at The Hepworth in Wakefield is a major showing of the work of Belfast-born photographer Hannah Starkey: 'In Real Life'. She makes carefully choreographed images exploring how women are represented in modern culture. It's not the kind of work I'd dream of doing (or be brave enough to do) but nevertheless I really engaged with it and found her vision quite fascinating. There is work displayed from her graduation show in 1997 through to a recent project with young women in Wakefield in 2022.  (See more HERE.)

Some images, for me, had echoes of Edward Hopper's paintings and others had a colourful Martin Parr vibe but there was a power and distinctiveness to them that I found compelling, helped, I suppose, by the sheer size of the prints.  I also fell in love with the brightly coloured walls... who says photos always look best against neutral backdrops? 



She has also photographed women at recent street protests, like those after Trump was elected US President. 

I loved the darker, more understated image below, where she has captured a reflection of herself taking the photo - wonderfully complex and yet simple at the same time. 

The exhibition is on until the end of April so there is still time to see it if you're local.  


 

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to find out more about this artist. Compelling images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so interesting. I enjoyed the link too. Love her work. Wakefield is where I was born.

    ReplyDelete