Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 19 January 2023

Hirst Wood Nature Reserve


From its beginnings in 2015, in a boggy field adjacent to Hirst Lock on the canal (see HERE), I think it's fair to say the Hirst Wood Nature Reserve has become a resounding success. It was envisaged as being 'a haven for wildlife, a delight for visitors and an outdoor classroom for youngsters.'  I think it has probably met all three criteria as it has matured. 

It obviously wasn't looking at its best when I popped in the other day, as everything is dank and decaying, but it has been well planted and soon there will be spring bulbs emerging and blossom on some of the trees. 


Even as I strolled around I saw several birds: various tits, blackbirds, a nuthatch and a woodpecker - fairly common ones, granted, but pleasing to see nevertheless. I might have seen more had they not been scared away by a rather exuberant toddler haring around! He was enjoying the space and the birds would come back when the family had gone. There is a well-stocked feeding station, and - I imagine - few predators apart from the odd local cat hanging out there.  


I think the site suffers a certain amount of vandalism, sadly, but the volunteers are tireless in their dedication to keeping it clean and safe. Since I last called in, there have been many more areas landscaped and planted, with this rather lovely willow tunnel, more seating and several interpretation boards. It really is lovely. 



3 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for volunteers who keep many things like this in existence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see potential there...though mostly the bare bones this time of year.

    ReplyDelete