Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 22 March 2022

Spring in the air

We've had a few days of much brighter, dry and crisp weather, with sunshine and a little warmth during the day though still very low temperatures overnight. It tempts me out to walk - too good to miss. I haven't done my favourite 'out along the river, back along the canal' route for a while so I took a few phone snaps as I re-acquainted myself with that. There are welcome signs of spring... 

The flowering currant shrubs are early bloomers; this one is in the allotment in front of Salts Mill. 

There were rowers practising on the river, which is now really low compared with a couple of weeks ago. Weeping willows along the bank are often the first trees to show some soft greening. 

In the woodland along the riverbank, spring flowers are beginning to unfurl: marsh marigolds in the boggy areas, 

lesser celandine on the banks:

 

and white wood anemones among the trees. 

Returning via the canal side, I was able to see that the 'heavy leakage on the headgates' at Hirst Lock, that I reported a few days ago HERE, has now been repaired. There was a Canal and River Trust barge going down through the lock. 

I enjoyed my stroll - there's always something new to see - and bumping into a former work colleague added even more delight, as we had a good catch-up and chatted about the state of the world. Simple joys...

4 comments:

  1. I've never seen currant bushes. They're illegal here in Norh Carolina because they carry a disease that can kill native pines. These are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely wild flowers! That canal lock is interesting...I would just love sitting there watching boats going up and down...literally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sunny day always makes me want to head out for a walk at this time of year too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your spring is ahead of spring here.

    ReplyDelete