Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 23 March 2022

Snowdrops and sunshine

I had a short break in the Yorkshire Dales at the beginning of March. Driving up through Upper Wharfedale, I stopped at Kilnsey Trout Farm, expecting their very nice café to be open. Sadly it wasn't, and I didn't get any refreshments until much later. It seems Mondays and Tuesdays are closing days in the Dales.  

As always, I enjoyed the lovely view of Kilnsey Crag across the fishing lake. I reckon that blue sky really suits the Dales scenery, despite it generally being frowned on by photographers (boring, chocolate-boxy). A harbinger of Spring, a swathe of snowdrops added to the beauty. (Spring marches on. Now, a mere three weeks later, the snowdrops have been replaced by crocus and daffodils everywhere.) 

Even though the café was closed, there were several people fishing around the lake. (All men; I wonder if there are ever any female anglers? I've never seen one.) As I was watching, one of them landed a trout, though it didn't make much fuss being caught. I expected much more splashing about but it was reeled in and neatly netted so that I hardly got time to capture the moment.  

5 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of the folks who live in those little houses next to the lake, and under the Crag...an immense neighbor! Good for fisherman catching his trout. I just noticed the three men on their little platforms fishing away! Sometimes I have to look at things for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful day to be out and about. It is a mystery why men seem to dominate fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like it was a lovely day. Our snowdrops are just starting to come out now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admittedly have never understood the appeal of fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are certainly a nice bunch of blooms all about in the UK, but sadly none here in NH.

    ReplyDelete