Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 14 March 2022

Out of place?


My online photo group theme for February was 'Out of Place', which I found quite a challenge as a subject. I guess I could have set up a shot inside but I was looking for a suitable image whilst I was out and about. I did find this one. The juxtaposition of classical church spire and modern shopping mall always strikes me as somewhat incongruous - not to mention the flying horse! 

The church is Holy Trinity, Boar Lane in Leeds, a Grade I listed building dating back to the 1720s (although the 'wedding cake' spire was added in 1839). Its status has ensured that it has survived, nestled nowadays among the modern buildings that make up Trinity Leeds. I think it looks quite attractive and inspiring glimpsed through the domed glass roof of the mall, although the rain and sleet lashing on to the roof at the time has rather obscured the detail in the photo.

The horse, meanwhile, is a steel sculpture called 'Equus Altus' ('High Horse') by Scottish sculptor Andy Scott (who also designed The Kelpies, Scotland's two famous horses' heads in Falkirk). Equus represents a packhorse carrying a roll of cloth - a reference of course to the local textile trade and the use of packhorses to transport goods, the HGV of the time. 

4 comments:

  1. I like that photo...though I do see how there's a big difference from spire to roof curves. And that horse is certainly a shock to see up there in the sky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly nailed it on content, and as for the composition, the photographers have given you thumbs up. Composition is quite OK with me. But I am rather perplexed by the sculpture choice of the powers that be. Well, they didn't ask me.

    ReplyDelete