Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 5 March 2022

Blue and yellow


As the world reels from Putin's aggression in invading Ukraine, we weep for the needless destruction, loss of life and displacement of its people, for the terror and pain, worried too about the implications for Europe and the world as a whole. I guess a lot of us have been thinking about how we can help. I've been hunting through my picture files for blue and yellow, and for sunflowers, which I gather are Ukraine's national flower. I've found a few images. I did wonder whether to get some greetings cards made to sell, to raise money for the Disasters Emergency Committee appeal, but I think it's hardly cost effective to make just a few and selling more than a few would need more time and organisation than I can muster at present. I think I'll just have to keep making my own donations and hope others will too. 

Anyway, here are the images I found, offered in solidarity with the people of Ukraine and with fervent prayers for an end to this madness. 

Love Ukraine by Volodymyr Sosiura (1944)

Love your Ukraine, love as you would the sun,
The wind, the grasses and the streams together…
Love her in happy hours, when joys are won,
And love her in her time of stormy weather.

Love her in happy dreams and when awake,
Ukraine in spring’s white cherry-blossom veil.
Her beauty is eternal for your sake ;
Her speech is tender with the nightingale.....

....Love her in love, in labour, and in fight,
As if she were a song at heaven’s portal…
Love her with all your heart and all your might,
And with her glory we shall be immortal.

4 comments:

  1. Pretty images to highlight such an ugly disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your colorful floral tribute was beautiful, Jenny. It is such a tragic situation not only for those in Ukraine but for the world at large.

    ReplyDelete