Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 30 November 2021

Janet's Foss

After briefly slipping into winter yesterday, we return to autumn, when a week or two ago I had a really lovely walk up at Malham. It is always busy there but, midweek on a day with a not-so-good weather forecast, it was not too busy. In fact I almost turned back on the way as there were road signs saying the approach road was closed, but I stopped for a coffee in Airton and the lady serving said: 'Oh, just ignore the signs, they're to stop it getting overcrowded. You'll be alright today.' And I was. And the weather was better than forecast too. 

The iconic walk is: Janet's Foss to Gordale and then over the hill to Malham Cove and back down to Malham village, so that's the way I went.  Janet's Foss is a waterfall where Gordale Back tumbles into a pretty little pool. Often it's a mere trickle but after a day or two of heavy rain there was more water coming down than I've ever seen before. 

It gets its name from Jennet, queen of the fairies, who is said to live in a cave behind the falls. 

3 comments: