Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 14 November 2021

The season for remembrance


I had to go to Addingham on an errand, and I stopped by the church to enjoy the autumn colours around the churchyard. As I got closer I noticed the cascade of knitted poppies. This seems to be something that has taken off in recent years, sparked originally, I think, by the installation of ceramic poppies: 'Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red', that were displayed around the Tower of London in 2014 for the centenary of the beginning of WWI.  (See HERE

Autumn to me always feels like a season of remembrance anyway, a sad and poignant time as the leaves fall and the nights draw in. Of course we continue to mark Remembrance Day in November, recalling the armistice that ended WWI. I have no close family members that were in the armed forces. It just so happens that most of my male ancestors were 'the wrong age' (thankfully!) or in protected occupations during both major World Wars, though my father did have to do 'national service' after the war ended.  

Nevertheless, it feels important to take some time to reflect on our personal and national history and the service and sacrifice of people in war, conflict and peacekeeping operations ... lest we forget.  

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully photographed. It is always a reflective occasion for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Important to remember the individual sacrifices--even more important to learn the causes of war itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. My Dad and all his brothers served and came home safely.

    ReplyDelete