Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 6 March 2021

Waste is big business


An odd thing to photograph, I suppose, but I find our local waste and recycling centre quite a fascinating place. There's usually a queue of cars waiting to get in and dump their stuff so, when I happened to walk past and there was hardly anyone there, I was a bit surprised. The staff were using the lull to compress the waste in the big skips, using that big JCB. Everything has to be thrown into the correct skip - some for general waste, some for garden rubbish, some for recyclable items. When you're in a queue of cars it can be hard to spot the right bit and even harder to park up near enough to be able to carry your heavy bags of waste from the car to the skip. Thankfully the staff are mostly quite helpful. For a while during lockdown, the site was closed, until they realised that everyone wanted to use the time at home to manicure their gardens and clear out household clutter. (Not that I've made much progress on either front, personally!) 

I may be weird but actually I'd love to learn how they operate a site like this and what happens to all the waste once it leaves here. I think as a nation / world we are going to have to get much cleverer about how we deal with our waste. As it is, there is frustratingly little information to help us. I had to change an LED lightbulb last week. (Grr, I thought they were supposed to last almost forever!) Anyway, it proved difficult to find out how to dispose of the faulty one. It seems they CAN be recycled here. (I should have popped it in my pocket and called in with it, I realised afterwards!) 

Apologies for the rather distanced photo. The tip entrance is on a bend and it wasn't safe to stand in the road or the entrance. I had to stay on the opposite pavement and I couldn't zoom in with my phone. 

4 comments:

  1. An interesting idea for a post, Jenny, as I have no idea where the recycling from the apt building we now live in ends up. When we lived in our own home in various states, we did drive to a couple to take larger recyclables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our recycling is all picked up at the curb but hazardous waste and electronics we take to a depot. The guys there are all quite nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After precise separation waste is big money. In particular clean paper earns well for local communities. Electrical waste is highly sought after for the valuable copper.
    Top soil is always carefully removed by builders for resale. Packaging is a big contract, after collection a large machine the size of a football field uses a magnet to remove ferrous items and a ruttler to keep the light plastic on top for binding. Glass drops through and is automatically colour sorted. Jenny you really must go along and see one of these recyclers in action! Ok, it whiffs a bit...

    ReplyDelete