Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 3 March 2021

Lockdown in Skipton


Skipton is normally packed with shoppers and tourists, especially on its frequent market days, when the High Street hosts a huge array of traders on open market stalls. It wasn't market day when I went to the optician's and, with very few shops  allowed to trade during lockdown, it was eerily quiet. (Plenty of space to park though, which is something of a novelty in Skipton!)

Normally this pretty little shopping precinct, Craven Court, would be crowded. As it was, I was the only shopper and the one shop open in the precinct - The Grape Tree, which sells large packs of dried fruit, nuts, lentils and other cooking items - seemed pleased for my custom. 

The lack of people meant I could appreciate the way this court was created, in the 1980s, from a 16th century theatre. The stone walls are original and listed.  I don't remember what it was like before but it's certainly a pleasant environment now, being sheltered from the elements whilst still retaining a light and airy feel. 

8 comments:

  1. What a pleasant court...just waiting for the virus to finally go away. My fingers are crossed it will be soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some rather wonderful wrought iron work in the roof. I haven't been into a town centre for over a year now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am strongly reminded of a place in my father's hometown like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a handsome shopping area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know when we were in full lockdown here everywhere was so quiet, it was weird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Craven Court is so attractive, very nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. While the lack of shopping activity is unfortunate at Craven Court, it did provide you with a unique photo opportunity.

    ReplyDelete