Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 29 March 2021

More men at work

I found I was unable to continue my walk along the canal towpath last week, as a section was closed - yet again. I think it is at least the third separate week that it's been barred off. At one point I noticed this stretch of water, between Hirst Lock and the Aquedect, had been almost drained too, though it was filled up again quite quickly. I'm not exactly sure what they are doing. The notice said something about 'essential investigations to support future plans' or words to that effect. The CRT website suggests that they are investigating how to stop leaks from the canal along this stretch. 

I had to reroute along the river and then back through Hirst Woods. From the river path I could see a group of workers in the distance (above).  Coming back through the woods, I still couldn't really see what they were doing, though there is a kind of pontoon on the canal itself.  

As you can see, the canal runs at a significantly higher level than the river just here, along the steep hillside. The paths through Hirst Wood are higher still. I imagine leaks from the canal could destabilise the whole slope, with potentially nasty consequences. 


 

4 comments:

  1. There always seems to be work that needs to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traditionally to identify seepage/leakage from the canal stop gates are set at each end and colored dye added. This was once done at Apperley Bridge where the house cellar below the swing bridge was flooded. BW strived for weeks to find a non-existent leak. The problem was identified as a water spring under the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I hope they find the problem and fix it soon so that your walk isn't barred off. We have similar in our forest. They are upgrading the picnic area and our path has a fence across it that we have to walk around through long grass.

    ReplyDelete