Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 13 March 2021

Patina


I must be a bit weird but I get as much pleasure from seeing something like this as I do from a good landscape. Such mini 'urban landscapes' are all around us if we open our eyes to see them. I pass this metal door, in a wall in a little alleyway in Shipley, every week on my church newsletter delivery round. Most weeks I've walked past it without really noticing and then one day - maybe through a trick of the light - I suddenly saw that wonderful patina and colouring. I don't know what the door is for. Why it's so ornate, how old it is and what actually lies within, I have no idea. It is locked and looks like it may be one of those electrical junction boxes or even some kind of a safe, though it is outside. They don't usually use elaborate mouldings on junction boxes. So it's a mystery - but rather a beautiful one. 



4 comments:

  1. Cast iron is famous for lasting for ever. Certainly this is an intriguing door!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine, from the size of the side stones, it is about 50cm high. Could it be for grocery or butcher or milk deliveries? Like some have mail boxes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to have boxes like that for milk delivery but not for many years now.

    ReplyDelete