Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Friday 12 March 2021

Around the Almshouses

A few cheery crocus bulbs have come into bloom on the grass in front of Saltaire's almshouses, the small homes provided by Sir Titus Salt for the frail and elderly from the village. The flowers weren't what I was intent on finding though... I was looking for the memorial plaques that I'd read were hanging in one of the porches. Normally I'd stay on the pavement and I wouldn't walk up so close to the houses. (I wouldn't like people coming right up to my front door!) It was, however, quite early in the day and there were few people around so I walked around the drive and found the plaques. They commemorate some of the earliest residents that lived there, giving their names, the dates they were admitted to the almshouses, the dates they died and their ages. One has the inscription: 'Here (ie: in death) the wicked cease from troubling and the weary be at rest' and the other says "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord'.  Very Victorian! 



 

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers popping out, you know that Spring is on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those plaques are certainly interesting...to see how people's lives ended, sort of. But to also know that care (of some kind) was being offered to these people. Great to see the flowers too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not many of them lived to a ripe old age compared to these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating. Not many left life before a year's residency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, my editing skill is awful.
      That should read...Many left life.

      Delete