Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 1 July 2023

The Bookshop, Wigtown


Dumfries and Galloway holiday 9

I obviously couldn't explore all seventeen bookshops, so I chose the largest, called simply 'The Bookshop', keen to see what 'a mile of bookshelves with over 100,000 books' looks like! Inside it was a series of little rooms laid out in different subjects but, beyond that basic organisation, fairly higgledy-piggledy in a nice kind of way. It wasn't as breathtaking as Barter Books, the secondhand bookshop in Alnwick (see HERE) but I enjoyed browsing and came away with a handful of novels and a copy of one of the owner's own books about the life of a bookseller. Shaun Bythell has a really dry sense of humour. I've been following his page on Facebook for some time (HERE) and it's often very amusing. 


The Booksellers' Code (below): No whistling; No bulk discounts; Don't ask where our counter came from (Drumlanrig Estate if you want to know); No 'home front' now (?); Don't please please don't tell us about the book you read when you were a child - the one with... I couldn't really read the rest but you can only imagine what customers might ask for... 'the one with a blue cover and a picture of a house'.

4 comments:

  1. I would be thoroughly happy there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's certainly a wonderful bookstore. Glad you purchased a couple of items! That's great that you're following the FB posts of the owner of it...I'll check him out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been in a bookstore like that in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a bookstore I'd love to spend days in.

    ReplyDelete