Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 16 July 2023

Ceramics Fair at The Hepworth


I met up with my family at The Hepworth in Wakefield, for a late celebration of my birthday. Across the garden in the newly restored mill now called Tileyard North was a large ceramics fair, so I enjoyed a browse around the stalls. There was some beautiful and imaginative work, though I do wonder how so many artists manage to support themselves doing art and crafts. There were enough items there - mugs, plates, dishes, jewellery and decorative ware - to supply the whole city of Wakefield for a year! I guess many of them must have other employment or means of surviving too.


Not all of it appealed to me... There are some ceramics that I find look very heavy and rough, and I don't fancy the weight of ceramic jewellery around my neck or hanging from my ears. Of all that I saw, I think I liked this young lady's work the best: Sophie Farrar (below). She's now Sheffield-based but took up ceramics during a stay in San Francisco, using exclusively hand-built methods, with black glazed patterns on creamy porcelain. See more HERE. Although I liked her work very much, I didn't buy any as it's simply not the kind of thing that would suit my home.


I also enjoyed the bright rainbow colours of Natalie Bell's work. She happens to hail from my own childhood area, and uses slipcasting methods to produce her pots. See HERE for her website. 


Tileyard North is a restored mill that is being built into a creative industries hub. When re-generation is complete, it will be the largest creative community outside of London. It was my first visit inside the mill, having watched it being renovated and transformed over the past few years - most impressive. (My photo below was taken a few years ago before it was revamped and before the Hepworth Garden was created in between the gallery and the mill.)


4 comments:

  1. I've often wondered who buys all this stuff; there must be houses that are overflowing with ceramic bowls and vases. They don't make much money out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a really big collection of ceramics displays. Though we still enjoy looking at it, fondling some, it's way past time to bring any home. I have a mug collection and enjoy knowing who the potter was who created the first cuppa each day. Only a few of those are on display rather than use. Yes to what John said, my house is overflowing with ceramics! Many of my own creation. And whether John was buying or not, potters don't make much money from anyone at these big sales. I think they do better on line these days. But for my own enjoyment, I hope they keep lugging their wares to shows so I can enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gone are the days when craftspeople could make an easy living. The pandemic and off-shore ripoffs has brought an end to a lot of the market that once existed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something similar here a couple of times a year.

    ReplyDelete