Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Friday 14 July 2023

Rae dance

Local dance groups were adding their colour and magic to the Rae Gala. Rainbow Morris are based in Shipley and I have friends who dance with them. Their style of dance is in the North-West tradition and the dancers wear iron-shod clogs decorated with bells so that their heavy stepping creates a distinctive beat. They use garlands, handkerchiefs and short beribboned sticks in their dances. It's a lot of fun, though tough on your hips and knees!

They have a very good accompanying music group too, with an accordian, fiddle and percussion. Watching and listening always makes me smile; it's a very infectious rhythm. 



The other dance group at the Gala was North Wind Tribal, who dance a variety of Tribal Bellydance. I don't actually know any of these dancers but I've watched them a few times and they all seem to have an absolute ball, shimmying and swaying. I think they are really great; very feisty women. I've occasionally tried to perfect the signature hip lifts and drops and I can tell you that kind of shimmying is a lot harder than it looks! 



5 comments:

  1. I haven't been to any Morris dance meets in a long time, something which I should remedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great to see women dancing belly dance moves! Morris dancing is also such fun, and I'm glad to see another group who does something a bit different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing Morris dancing somewhere in England and it looked like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun this all looks! I love watching Morris dancing and would love to see the wild belly dancers!

    ReplyDelete