Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 25 July 2023

A garden treat


I like to visit RHS Harlow Carr Gardens a few times a year, since there is always something new to see as the seasons change. I wasn't all that inspired to take photos during my latest trip with a friend (too busy chatting!) but still very much enjoyed wandering round. They are undertaking massive earthworks and reconstruction in several areas, which does rather spoil things, though when it's all done it will be nice. 

The jewel-bright calla lilies were massed in pots in the shop. Elsewhere, roses are in full bloom.


Several ponds within the gardens are home to a variety of waterlilies. This formal arrangement is the pond where a sacred lotus flowered a few years ago, but they need (apparently) very specific climate conditions to flower and there seemed no sign of it at the moment.


Grasses, blue painted timber and eryngium (Mediterranean sea holly) made a harmonious display. 


I was struck too by this blue grass (festuca glauca)... I can't think I've seen it before, very dramatic, though it did look a bit parched with all the hot weather we've had. 


It was my birthday in June and I managed quite a few small 'celebrations'. I don't usually bother queueing for coffee at the famous 'Betty's' restaurant at Harlow Carr; it's easier to grab a coffee at their outdoor café in the gardens, but this time my friend and I queued and I was treated to a cappucino and a delectable little carrot cake. It's all very elegant, with the serving staff in uniform in crisp white aprons. I don't usually bother posting photos of food on social media either but in this case I will, just to remind myself of a lovely treat. Yummy. 😋

5 comments:

  1. I love the blue grass and also the sea holly in the photo above that; I encountered the most stunning sea holly, on Sunday, and since then, they seem to be jumping out at me!
    I’ve never been to Harlow Carr so it’s ‘on the list’ but we do have RHS Rosemoor, in Devon and I’ve visited, frequently. I always think that a coffee and cake is part of the ‘ experience’ whenever I visit a lovely garden! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waterlilies always seem so magical to me. Love the Calla lilies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed. A good capture of your treat, which of course you can also remember from the taste. Loved that blue fence shot with the blue whatevers in the foreground. I don't think they were the grasses you referred to. But maybe that's what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those calla lilies! And that garden! If only I had a team of gardeners....

    ReplyDelete