Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 24 December 2022

Waiting for Father Christmas


(For the avoidance of doubt, the photo above was taken at Harewood House - not my home!)

Tonight's the night! Don't forget to leave out the sherry and mince pies for Father Christmas, and some carrots for the reindeer.  

I can't help but wonder how many children will be disappointed this year to find that, by the time Santa Claus has paid for reindeer food to power his sleigh and an increased minimum wage for his elves, not to mention the cost of importing gifts after Brexit, there really isn't much in his sack. 

Thankfully, I and my loved ones are among the ranks of the relatively privileged in the UK and we mustn't take it for granted - and it's not about the gifts really, is it? I've long felt that Christmas is a bit too commodified, so I try to keep a sensible balance. When you factor in all the ills in so much of the world, not to mention what we've all come through in the last few years, then a good night's sleep followed by food on the table and the company of family and friends is all I want. Who could ask for more? 

Wishing you joy and peace this Christmas night.


PS: I’m not quite getting my own wish! I can hardly believe it but I tested positive for Covid yesterday. After having avoided it all this time, it’s a bit cruel to have to be in individual lockdown over Christmas! I’m feeling pretty rough… I will look after myself and hope it doesn’t last long. 

5 comments:

  1. That is such sad news. The same happened to my neighbour who was going to family for Christmas but now will be on her own. We celebrate today (Christmas Eve) because Bill is from Switzerland and that what Europeans do. Our girls like that because they can go to their inlays on Christmas Day. So we made a plate of Christmas food and left it on our sick neighbour's porch. She was very appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had Covid in April, and it was characterized by a deep cough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers your health and covid being mild and soon gone
    Happy Christmas
    for as well as you are able
    🎄

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. Thank you for your wonderful photography all year long and your cheerful blogs. Hope you will recover soon. It will be good to have a time of rest and taking care of yourself - to see the New Year come in feeling much, much better. Restful holidays followed by a wonderful 2023 in good health. Hugs from the base of the mini-mountain in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You poor thing. Stay warm and I hope it is a mild dose. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete