Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 10 December 2022

Beckfoot Bridge


Thankfully the gloomy damp of November seems to have ebbed away and lately we've had some colder but crisper days, considerably better for walking. I find blue skies and a bit of a bite in the air much more invigorating, as long as I'm sensibly dressed for it. I've yet to find gloves that truly keep my hands warm and wearing gloves is, anyway, a pain when I'm constantly reaching for my camera. We suffer for our art!  

I had a circular walk around Bingley one day, passing my favourite bridge at Beckfoot. I've shown it several times before on my blog but I do think it an attractive spot, with the ford and the narrow bridge. The bridge dates back to 1723 but there was a wooden bridge crossing Harden Beck prior to that, marking an ancient packhorse route. Packhorse bridges were traditionally built without parapets so that horses heavily laden with panniers could cross unimpeded. Latter day health and safety concerns, however, mean wooden balustrades have been added to the structure to stop people falling into the beck. 


That appears to be an old, moss covered millstone leaning up against the bridge. There's an old farmhouse near the bridge so perhaps the area had a corn mill at one time. 

3 comments: