Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 7 December 2022

Swinsty reservoir


The fog around Swinsty reservoir was thick enough to obscure most of the detail. It has a muffling effect on both sight and sound, as though someone has drawn a veil or a blanket over things. I found it made my walk even more enjoyable, just because it was 'different' and gave me a variety of photographic options. 

November's rain has thankfully replenished our water sources to an extent, though they are still by no means full. It means that at least the hosepipe ban that has been in force has been lifted.


Given that my theme for my monthly online photo group was 'minimalism', I wondered whether to enter one of these pictures. In the end, I felt I had better alternatives, though the image below, of a few mallards freezing their little legs off in the icy water, was one I considered. When I sat at a picnic table to eat my lunch sandwich, a whole flock of ducks came waddling over in hope of a crumb or two. They are noisy little things when they want to be: 'Quack, quack, quack!'  It reminded me, rather hilariously, of when my youngest granddaughter was about three and couldn't yet pronounce 'qu'. She said 'f' instead, so every time we saw ducks she'd shout 'fack, fack, fack', which could be a touch embarrassing! 

4 comments:

  1. The kind of walk I'd enjoy myself; your photos capture the cold stillness perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rather you than me out in the damp. Great moody photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ethereal. Foggy days are rare here.

    ReplyDelete