Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Friday 2 December 2022

It's beginning to feel...

Christmas seems to be being ushered in earlier and earlier these days. It wasn't even the end of November when all our local town centres were switching on their Christmas lights and holding Christmas markets and fairs. 'Christmas lights' in Saltaire this year seem to be confined to a single tree outside the Victoria Hall. Even so, it was lit with a great deal of fanfare, plenty of people attending and the Hallroyd Brass Band playing carols. 

It was indeed festive and clearly lots of people are ready to get into the holiday spirit as fast as they can, perhaps made more urgent by the enforced isolations of the past two years. I'm not averse to the celebrations but I tend to wait until much nearer the actual Christmas festival before I start decorating the house, or even cooking. A ceremonial stirring of cakes and puddings weeks beforehand is not my style - and I can't eat all the fancy stuff anyway. (Gluten free mince pies are mostly horrid!) However, in the interests of reportage - and even though it was still November -  I went along to document the fun. 


3 comments:

  1. People seem to be making up for lost times. Although many people that I know are ill with covid & flu. I am still being careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last shot particularly appeals to me.

    This is always a painful time of year for me. It wrecks havoc with my depression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the rush is all about getting some light when the days are getting shorter. And we don't have as much patience, though we know they will get longer in a while. I don't know....or maybe it's all sales! Sales! SALES! But the above shows people getting together and doing something in spite.

    ReplyDelete