Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 27 December 2022

Robins


Beloved of Christmas cards, our native 'robin redbreast' is with us all year round but most noticeable, I suppose, in the winter. Their bright red-orange feathers make them stand out against the paler backdrop of frost-tinged foliage. On a recent walk around Harlow Carr Gardens, I was cheered to see several hopping about. Many of them were very tame, especially those around the outdoor tea rooms, waiting for people to drop crumbs, which they'd then hop in and snap up with little fear. 


7 comments:

  1. It's great to find such willing sitters for your portraits. Apparently it's only British Robins that are so bold in human company and it's thought to be because of our love of gardening; they love to hang around when you're digging or hoeing to snap up any worms or bugs you disturb. When I used to do my mother's garden we had one that, as soon as I took my foot off the spade would come and sit on the spade and peer down at my handiwork - I sometimes thought it gave me a disapproving glance if no food was to found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your robins are the cutests birds next to juncos. They have similar shape and size.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are round and cute - aka harmless! Just winning. Like those little birds in Australia that have so much lovely blue on them ....fairy birds or something. Anyway, juncos rate highly on the sweet score, as Salty Pumpkin said. Our robins are big, not round and cute, but entertaining and harmless as well.....full red breast and hopping around on yellowish legs. Yours are certainly a lot cuter.

    ReplyDelete