Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 19 December 2022

Ice bound

We've had sub-zero temperatures for a week or so. Whilst much of the country has had snow, there's been none here yet, but it's been frosty and icy. 

The two boats (above) have been moored here for many weeks and are currently ice-bound so they won't be moving even if they wanted to. I think they've decided to stay here over the winter. I often see the owner chopping logs on the towpath. I suppose having a woodburner constantly fired up uses a lot of fuel. 


Nearer the locks there are a couple of boats that have arrived more recently. The cheery red wheelhouse cover was, photographically, a lovely foil to the cool colours of its surroundings. 


On the aqueduct you can clearly see how the canal, with fairly shallow and static water, is frozen over whereas the river Aire below is still running free. I was careful along this stretch. I know from past, painful experience that the concrete footway over the bridge can get very slippery. I was surprised to see a few boats from the rowing club out on the river. I wouldn't fancy my chances capsizing in that cold water! They obviously trust their ability to handle their craft. 

4 comments:

  1. Not the best weather for living on the waterways, I imagine. I had a friend who lived on a boat and it's not an easy life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty boats, but sure not a place I could live myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be a cold life on those boats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Canal boats here were removed in October for the season.

    ReplyDelete