Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 5 December 2022

The right kind of fog


I had promised myself a good walk so I didn't let the mist deter me. For once, it was 'the right kind of fog'! So often, such a misty, murky day is really very damp mizzle, which spoils a walk. Mercifully it was dry, apart from the drips off the tree branches, which can rather startle you when they plop on your head! I walked right round Swinsty reservoir, along the fairly well-kept path along the side of the water and then back along a forest track. Most of the people I passed had a dog with them, but my camera is an equally good accompaniment (and it never barks). 

I've recently learned a big, new word for 'the withering and persistence of plant organs, for example leaves, which are usually shed'. It is marcescence. I don't suppose I'll remember it for long, as it's not a word you can use a lot. The phenomenon does, however, add a lot of beauty to our autumn walks. It's mostly young beech and oak trees that seem to hang on to their leaves through the winter; it's thought it may be protective and aid growth. 


6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous shots, especially the 2nd one, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenny not only for taking me along on a lovely walk, but on sharing a word that was new to me as well, marcescence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful walk. I would love to do that with you. I would have a camera and not a dog. your photos are beautifully composed. The fog makes nice shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, one of those wonderful words a person has a hard time remembering. Seems to me a lot of them are French. So glad you had such a good walk, and it was certainly good to see. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Italy, where I now live they say marcescenza.

    ReplyDelete