Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 1 September 2021

The Rite of Spring Re-imagined


Over the Bank Holiday weekend, I nipped into Bradford to watch a dance performance in City Park.  The advertising said: 

'The award-winning Seeta Patel Dance Company re-imagines Igor Stravinsky's iconic ballet, The Rite of Spring, in the powerful Indian classical dance style, Bharatanatyam. Showcasing some of the finest dance talent from across the globe, this unique re-telling of a pagan folk story celebrates the re-opening of our city by bridging two cultures, and two technical, powerful and evocative art forms: Western classical music and Indian classical dance. Expect expressive prowess, intricate rhythmic footwork and dynamic movements, creating one of the most exciting flirtations between East and West and a truly not-to-be-missed event for Bradford. 2021 marks the 50th anniversary of the death of Stravinsky, a commemoration marked and celebrated by thousands around the world.'


Beautifully danced, it was wonderful and quite moving to watch, although - with my hearing aids - I found the music a little hard to follow in the open air. 

I've done my best to dim the rather ugly metal railings that surrounded the platform, so that you can see the lovely movements and expressions of the dancers. I almost didn't stir myself to go down to see it but I am very glad I did. 





4 comments:

  1. Your second and fifth photos remind me very much of the classical dances we enjoyed in Thailand. I lived in the Far East for a wonderful two and one half years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must have been spectacular. Funny time of year to be celebrating spring, but then it's more like winter down here today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful photos...of beautiful poses in dance. I loved the costumes, and the face masks! Lovely all.

    ReplyDelete