Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 12 September 2021

All creatures great and small


You wouldn't believe how many different varieties of sheep there are at Kilnsey Show; few had horns as magnificent as this fellow though. Sadly, I don't know my Swaledales from my Lonks, my Mules, my Rough Fell or my Dalesbred so I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to what breed this one is. 

The highland cattle were close contenders in the horn stakes, mind you:


The alpaca - no horns but plenty of fluff:


These two Border collies were waiting their turn in the sheepdog trials. They're the classic British sheepdog - highly intelligent, highly trainable, athletic and very hard-working - and utterly beautiful, I think. Years ago, I used to work in a building where the caretaker had working sheepdogs. One had puppies and they were adorable. It was only the realisation of how much they need exercise and proper training that stopped me taking one home! 


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful horned critters...and such lovely sheepdogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a young boy I helped on a farm. They had two Border Collies named Glen and Ben. They simply adored the excitement of chasing car wheels. The followers on ran them over, and now the two are chasing over the Heavenly hills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a border Collie next door from us. She was a rescue from a family because she kept wanting to herd the little kids which became an issue. She is happy now with a young couple who exercise her a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful animals. We have had several Border Collies over the years--wonderful intelligent critters. VERY focused on getting the job done, whether bringing in the cows or leading John to his truck. We have an English Shepherd mow--also very intelligent but a bit more laid back.

    ReplyDelete