Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 11 September 2021

Kilnsey Show


Last week saw the welcome return of Kilnsey Show, first mounted in 1897 and now one of the biggest one-day agricultural shows in Yorkshire, showcasing Dales farming life and businesses. It was dull and unseasonably cold. In fact, so cold that I had to buy myself a fleece gilet to add to the T-shirt, fleece and coat I was already wearing! Luckily there were several 'country wear suppliers' there. I forget that you get colder just mooching around than striding out on a hike. 

I still enjoyed myself though, and it has to be one of the most picturesque of showgrounds, set in Upper Wharfedale and with a backdrop of the famous Kilnsey Crag (below). That's usually swarming with rock climbers - but not on Show Day. 


It has everything you want and more: marquees of crafts and produce, trade stalls, show jumping, sheep and cattle judging, sheep shearing demos, dogs, vintage tractors, drystone walling, harness racing, children's activities, a fun fair and the famous Crag fell races. (Though they take place quite late in the day and I didn't stay for them this year). There was a silver band playing, which I listened to whilst I had my picnic lunch (though there are endless stalls selling food and drink).


It's a grand day out for all the family - and great for 'people watching' too!

Sheep are a serious business... 


... and of course an alpaca had to make an appearance too, one of several pets that are used as therapy animals. 


5 comments:

  1. Just love the picture of the people looking at the sheep - I've seen those faces and expressions at every show I've ever been to. Shame it wasn't a warmer day; whatever else you say about them those masks were good at keeping your nose warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you just avoided them, but I don't see anyone with a mask on in these shots. Hope it's not an event that spreads our hateful virus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, there weren't many people wearing masks. They are no longer mandatory here. I suppose the risk outdoors is much reduced, but even so I wore my mask all day, being as it was quite crowded. And it did keep my nose warm!

      Delete
  3. Those look like 'normal' pics. I did wonder about masks since people were standing so close together.

    ReplyDelete