Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Friday 24 September 2021

Teddy Bears' Picnic


For whatever reason, someone has taken it upon themselves to crochet a teddy bears' picnic and fitted it like a cap on top of the postbox on Victoria Road. It's quite cute and colourful and has been crafted with some skill. No doubt it will bring a smile to a lot of people, though it's well above child height so kids won't necessarily be able to see it. 

Call me a party pooper but I'm not sure I'm entirely in favour of the trend for yarn-bombing / fabric wrapping / guerrilla knitting. It's harmless in a way but it's graffiti in a different form and once that starts there's no end to it. One person's 'cute' is another person's 'tacky' or 'kitsch'....  I could not, however, let it go without a photo, since this kind of thing is very much part of our urban environment these days. 

4 comments:

  1. Some time ago a couple of artists completely wrapped the historic "Reichstag" in fabric. They did the same again in France. A bigger waste of money I simply cannot imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was Christo who wrapped the Reichstag as well as many other things but there is a difference between the yarn bombing and art. Cute image though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I have only seen one previous example of yarn bombing, this one was a cute one, Jenny. The late artist Christo seemed to have taken fabric bombing to lengths I never quite grasped. Seeing the Paris Arc covered in cloth was a perfect example of non-art to me as it was beautiful “as is.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. It used to happen more often here, but it's been years since I've seen it.

    ReplyDelete