Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 5 September 2021

Detail in the gardens



As my gaze sweeps across the views and borders at RHS Harlow Carr Gardens, I often find I am drawn to stop and study individual plants or small groups of plants, artfully arranged together by the expert eyes of the gardeners there. I was at first attracted to the plant above because it looked like lots of swans heads. ( I believe it is called a gooseneck loosestrife, lysimachia clethroides.)  Then I noticed the butterfly, which I think is a peacock, enjoying the nectar. 
 
One of my favourite small areas is a couple of borders planted with grasses that ruffle gently in the wind. I tried to capture the motion in my photo. 



A sinuous border planted entirely with mauve (Russian sage?) looked like a river. Then there was mauve juxtaposed with orange (sneezeweed/helenium?) ...


And then there was just orange - a bright wall that showed up the wonderful shadows of this plant, which may be a type of fennel.  


Prairie-style drifts of plants in the herbaceous borders are effective. 

 

And no garden should be without a few cheerful sunflowers. 


 

4 comments:

  1. Certainly if I possessed only a fraction of the RHS gardeners fantastic expertise my garden would look very different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Such beauty! Thank you for these pictures.

    ReplyDelete