Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 4 April 2021

Sunday meditation: A heart in the woods


'In the backwoods of nature's soul, I left my wild true heart.'        Angie Weiland-Crosby

I suppose there must be a story behind this rustic heart left on a tree in Hirst Woods - and, if there isn't, we could make one up. Maybe it's a memorial to someone who loved to walk in the woods? Maybe it marks the spot where two lovers found each other or declared their love, a marriage proposal perhaps? Maybe it's someone just telling the world, in a cryptic way, that they love the woods? Maybe it's meant as a bug house? (I'm sure some bugs will find it!) 

I'm old enough - and maybe old-fashioned enough - to be not entirely in favour of the current trend to leave trinkets and flowers everywhere. At least this one looks as though it will eventually biodegrade, unlike the padlocks people clip onto bridges or the plastic flowers and baubles that get strewn around. 

Having said that that, I do love the woodland and I do find peace there among the trees and the birds. So maybe a wild heart left on a tree isn't a bad thing. 

'I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders.'      Psalm 9:1

5 comments:

  1. Maybe it is indeed intended as a kind of sacrificial anode in that destructive larvae would choose to attack this easier dead wood first and spare the living trees? Like Jenny suggested, a "bug house"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They just wanted to give everyone a mental lift?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is quite nice. Like you I'm not in favour of trinkets being left all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm inclined to think your first instinct.

    ReplyDelete