Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 10 April 2021

Skipton - and return

There are worse places to be on a sunny day than Skipton, even though the stiff breeze made it feel cold. The area where the Leeds-Liverpool Canal meets the short Springs Branch Canal in the middle of town forms a natural basin. There is always something of interest going on, so I found a bench and enjoyed a coffee from my thermos flask whilst 'watching the world go by', as my mum would have said. 

There was no way I was going to walk the 7+ miles back to Silsden to collect my car! But there is a rail station on the edge of town so I walked along the canal a little further, crossing the culvert that carries Eller Beck through the town. 


Skipton is an interesting mix of old and new, with former textile mills and canal warehouses having been converted into apartments and some new builds blending quite successfully in among them. 

Then it was on to the train, suitably masked and hand sanitised! It was not very busy, only one other person in the carriage I was in, so I felt quite safe. It's the first time I've used public transport since the pandemic began.  I hopped off at Steeton and Silsden station - rather optimistically named, since the centre of Silsden is a good mile away. Nice views up the valley as I crossed over the River Aire... 

I must have passed this building, on the outskirts of Silsden, hundreds of times in the car and never noticed it. You see much more when you're walking. Isn't it a curious shape, with that fancy roofline and an overhang on the corner?

And so, back to the garage to collect my car, which had a clean bill of health apart from needing a new rear wiper blade. Phew. Always a relief when they pass their MOT. 

6 comments:

  1. To me that sounds like a super days outing! The scenery is wonderful your photos too. The passenger boat named "Cobbydale" amuses me. Is there really a Cobbydale? We once had a Marine Superintendant from Shields who was always in a foul mood. Hence his nickname, "Cobby" Clarke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Behind the red boats, where the man is standing in front of the wall is where Dewhurst's mill used to be. I recall 1958 we tied up our old wooden barge exactly there, to be emptied after Christmas. To prevent our fine vessel sinking during the holiday I was shown how to push a jute sack full of sawdust underwater alongside the boat. The sawdust drawn out of the sack neck was sucked into the gaps between the boat's wooden planking to (hopefully) keep the water out, and the coal dry. Now Dewhurst mill, boiler house, coal and boat are long gone. But I am here so thats OK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed going along with you on your walk/ride with these picturesque photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been on any public transport either since this whole thing started. Your walk looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice way to spend the time while waiting for your car and then how nice to find it only needed a rear wiper blade, Jenny. I enjoyed seeing the canals and those boats. We also have not been on any public transport, but then we usually travel by foot or in our own vehicle to get anywhere.

    ReplyDelete