Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 11 April 2021

A (brief) celebration of magnolia


To my mind, there is little more glorious than a magnolia tree in bloom against a blue sky. I passed one just beginning to unfurl its blossom and I felt like Spring was really on the way at last, despite it still being chilly. Since I took this photo, we've had several freezing, frosty mornings and even some snow (that weird dry stuff that looks like tiny polystyrene balls, not exactly snowflakes but not hail either. A friend called it ' snail ' !)*. Consequently, most of the magnolia and camellia blossoms have been frosted; they turn brown and shrivelled and look a sorry sight. Such a shame. They so often appear just a little too early to cope with our temperamental weather. *(Found out today that kind of precipitation - soft hail - is actually called Graupel. Wonders of the internet!) 

4 comments:

  1. Lets hope that we're not making the same mistake by coming out of our winter lockdown too early. I certainly don't want to get "frosted"; I'm already shrivelled enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a seen a few Magnolias out here already which is early for us. I hope we avoid another frost!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fine image of magnolia blossoms. The magnolia in my Florida community are mostly white, and the blooms seem extra large this year. One thing that always irks me about magnolias is that they are so short-lived. Makes me wonder if planting them is worth it.

    ReplyDelete