Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 5 April 2021

A colour fix

I've really missed my regular trips to RHS Harlow Carr Gardens whilst we've been locked down. The gardens have been open but, as they're in North Yorkshire, it doesn't count as 'local' for me, so I've stayed away. Happily some colour is starting to creep back into our neighbourhood parks and gardens too. This is Bingley's Myrtle Park again, with a few early blossom trees in flower. The gardens are cared for largely by a very active 'Friends' group, who do a wonderful job. 

The low walls are covered in winter flowering bell heather, quite different from the paler ling heather we see on our moors in summer. The colours are wonderfully vibrant and they provide an important nectar source for bees and other insects coming out of hibernation. 

I'm quite fond of this plant: lungwort (pulmonaria) - it's much prettier than its name suggests. They like shady, damp conditions. 

These are varieties of primulas - they remind me of lollipops. 

Even last autumn's seed heads (sedum, I think) looked textural and sculptural against an old brick wall. 


 

4 comments:

  1. Before Easter I planted colourful primulas on my mother-in-law's grave. The leaves are the same, but your "lollipops" certainly look very different from mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice splashes of colour - I think we're going to need them in the next few days if the forecast is correct. I think those Primulas are called Drumstick Primulas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That heather is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete