Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 21 January 2021

Update - noon today


Although it is still raining and sleeting intermittently, I believe the worst of storm Christoph has passed. I took these photos at noon today, Thursday, some 24 hours after those I posted earlier. The river has risen further but is still bounded by the low wall in the park. The weirs are wild and furious, the new fish pass almost submerged. But the sky is lightening so I think we, in this area at least, have escaped serious flooding this time, as I believe has the Calder valley. It sounds worse over to the west around Manchester and North Wales. Floods are no fun at any time and especially in the middle of a pandemic so my heart goes out to anyone forced from their home or business. 

5 comments:

  1. The forces of nature are sometimes amazing, sometimes awful, and most times without regard to what people are doing. Hope you have a good day, and stay safe (from virus and floods!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad things are settling down and the worst has passed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the update photos. You recall not long ago that Aire flood water swept down Kirkstall road beneath the viaduct,a first for me. In Leeds canal basin winter 1946/7 the large warehouse containing Tate & Lyle sugar was flooded out by the Aire backing up beneath City Station. That was an expensive disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The water does look high, though I recall that you have seen higher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The river is flowing very fast, I hope it goes down soon.

    ReplyDelete