Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 20 January 2021

Beauty under your feet


The inspiration for this image was taken directly from one of our camera club members, who showed some of his own photos on one of our Zoom nights recently. (I do like to think, though, that I might have thought of it myself on one of my creative wanderings! I have tried similar things.) 

These jewel-like pieces are actually photos of glass (and possibly mica) slabs set in the pavement in front of some of our old shops. I guess at one time they were meant to introduce some light into the cellars, whilst still being safe for pedestrians along the pavement. Many have been removed or covered over but I found one or two still intact. To the naked eye, they don't have the vibrant colour shown here but all I've done is to boost up the saturation. The colours are all there, hidden. 

There's room for endless 'playing' with these. I may go back to them. 

6 comments:

  1. One of those things that we find fascinating when we're children, but then just forget about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember these thick glass slabbed pavements in front of my Grandfather's shop in Albion Street, Leeds. The lady cashier sat in a room beneath it and the opaque glass gave her light. If one looked up one could see the vague movement of shoppers walking past. The cashier was connected to all the sales points in the shop by gleaming copper vacuum tubes. The money cartridge arrived with a bang, the money was removed and a receipt inserted and returned. I was fascinated by this clever system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this...such a fun mosaic in a pattern already there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those from walking around in London.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this...such a fun mosaic in a pattern already there! houstonembroideryservice.com

    ReplyDelete