Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 23 January 2021

Men at work

Taking the long-but-not-especially-scenic route into Shipley (combining an essential visit to the bank with my daily lockdown exercise), I crossed the River Aire over Baildon Bridge. The riverside footpath here has been closed for a while. I heard there had been a small landslip. There were men at work, either trimming branches or felling a few small trees that are awkwardly sprouting from underneath the footpath. It's always sad to see trees being lopped but I suppose safety has to be the prime consideration. Things self-seed and then just get too big and heavy for where they're growing. Those wood chipping machines that they feed the branches into make a heck of a noise! It was that that alerted me to the work initially, rather than spotting the orange jacket in the tree. Rather him than me, especially hanging over the river! 

A few yards further on, I noticed they have started to level the waste ground I posted about in November (HERE). The plans for a new retail park, including a Lidl supermarket and a drive-through Costa Coffee, were approved by Bradford planners in late November, despite being opposed by our local Shipley Town Council.  


I also note that planners have approved the demolition of an empty industrial works by the canal on Victoria Street, to make way for a 66 bed residential care unit for the elderly. It'll be ready by the time I need it, I guess! Though I don't know if I could bear to spend my last days staring across the road at the dilapidated old red brick British Waterways warehouse (below)! I wish they'd do something about that.




6 comments:

  1. Glad you mentioned the guy in the tree...I hadn't noticed him up there! That is sure a strange looking old building! It's good there is going to be a new home for elders. We just keep needing them! It's great to live in a time when more and more people get old. Hopefully the pandemic will eventually let more of us age gracefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red brick building would be turned into expensive lofts here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Canal Transport building was built in 1934. I have a theory that disposal of all that asbestos could be expensive. Thinking positively, internally the warehouse is very solidly built. An Ikley architect firm produced plans for a conversion to flats which looked super. I do not know why developers shy away - it could be really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good photo of man in tree, a terrifying tree at that so close to falling in the river.

    ReplyDelete