Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 17 January 2021

Sunday meditation: Leaf


I'm attempting to make my walks more mindful, 'being fully present', seeking to make an advantage out of the current lockdown restrictions, which mean (for me) an empty diary and no real pressures to do anything or be anywhere. There were plenty of times in my younger life when that thought would have been simply heaven, so I'm doing my best to enjoy the freedom of it rather than chafe against the restrictions. 

I noticed a dead leaf, pierced by a twig and left suspended. You can choose to leave it at that... a deaf leaf... not unattractive. Quite fun to play around with in my photo processing. 

It reminded me a bit of a heart shape though, and my wandering meditations took me to Luke 2:35 - the old man Simeon's prophecy, to Jesus' mother Mary in the Temple, that 'a sword will pierce your own heart too'. That had a particularly difficult meaning for Mary, and yet I doubt there are many of us mothers that have not felt that sword through our heart at times. Such bittersweet mind-ramblings, and I came home feeling very thankful for my daughter and my granddaughters and the privilege and mystery of motherhood. 

4 comments:

  1. Noticing little things like that is to make the most of a restricted situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful meditation, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Isn't it odd to have days where there is nothing that MUST be done....at a certain time....so retirement, plus lockdown, results in unimaginable leisure. At least it was unimaginable for those of us of a certain age at a certain time. Thank you for the photos. Snow is so quiet. I love that about it.

    ReplyDelete