Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 7 January 2021

Winter wildlife

Even though I'm inclined to hibernate in this very cold weather, our local grey squirrels seem quite hardy and this one was scampering about in the nature reserve alongside the river. 

Further along, there were several goosanders and a cormorant, diving for food. They disappear underwater so quickly and it can seem ages before they surface, often quite a way from where they were initially. It makes taking photos (especially with my fairly short telephoto lens) quite a challenge. I think goosanders are such elegant birds. The female (top) with her brown head and softly mottled grey back is in some ways even more attractive than the more boldly marked male (below).  



A bit later, a huge flock of Canada geese flew over, screaming and honking, making such a racket. They'd been grazing on the fields below Milner Field farm so something must have disturbed them. They rather startled me and I didn't manage to get a photo. It was lovely to see some wildlife about. At the start of last year's lockdown when things were very quiet, birds and animals seemed emboldened and more visible but lately there have been so many more people on the local paths that I haven't really seen many creatures. I think you have to be up and about before the rest of the populace! I rarely am! 

6 comments:

  1. We had our first snow overnight, one whole inch of it here in Weserbergland. Or as the locals would say 2,54 cms! I do not know where all our blackbirds have disappeared to. Maybe they have found a cosy barn to sleep in. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see a couple of ducks we don't have around here (that I've seen anyway) Finding any natural critters is sometimes a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The squirrels only stay inside when the weather is really terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos. Early morning cold is a challenge to greet. Let the squirrels and birds have the frost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hibernating is sometimes good, especially when one needs some time out.

    ReplyDelete