Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 18 July 2024

Mindful photography


"Mindfulness encourages us to use all our senses to experience the present moment in all its fullness. Mindful photography encourages us to look, to really see, to explore things from different angles, to notice how light and shade falls and alters our perception, and to reflect on what we can learn when we see 'with the eyes of the heart'." (Text from Revd Janet Heighton, the leader of the workshop on which I was a participant.) The NHS website suggests that 'paying more attention to the present moment - to your own thoughts and feelings, and to the world around you - can improve your mental wellbeing'.

It's partly for those reasons that I enjoy photography anyway. Whether out there with my camera or back home processing photos on my computer, I am very much 'in the present moment' and it helps me switch off from any anxieties, worries or problems I may be grappling with. I know, however, that I can still learn to 'go deeper' into the moment and place. 

We were encouraged to find a spot to stand or sit, to really look and see, and then take some photos. I explored the margins of a small pond, taking all these images within about ten paces of each other. I normally take photos when I'm walking so it was a lovely exercise to stay in one place for a while, finding both conventional images and some more nuanced responses to 'beauty in the ordinary'. 








It could be that even looking at photos 'mindfully' can improve your mental wellbeing. I hope so! 

4 comments:

  1. A wonderful post and says everything I feel about photography. Unfortunately, I no longer belong to a camera club, but still enjoy looking for interesting scenes and perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great suggestion, and I'm enjoying mindfully looking at your photos! This is a beautiful album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found a great spot to be mindful. I will keep this in mind when out for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really like the third one. I don't know why it's my favorite. They are all interesting and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete